15. Remove u-joint nuts at rearend (double
bag u-joint at rear of drive shaft secure with tape.)
Reinstall u-joint clips and nuts to rearend yolk.
16. Remove driveshaft(s).
17. Remove both cooler lines at transmission.
Only use your fingers and never use a screwdriver to disconnect bulkhead connector.
18. Remove solenoid bulkhead electrical connector above pan rail - rear passenger
side of transmission -
19. Remove exhaust pipe and muffler to the extent necessary to allow transmission
20. CAUTION: Use only a quality
trans-cage & jack or transmission jack rated for E4OD.
The E4OD Transmission is a large and very heavy Automatic Transmission.
Use chain/strap over top of transmission and tighten to secure.
20. Place trans-cage / jack under pan rails and secure properly.
21. Lift transmission about 1-1/2" - 2" as gauged at rear tip of transmission.
22. Remove all cross-member bolts and nuts, remove cross-member.
23. Remove rear transmission mount from tailshaft.
24a. CAUTION:Prior to lowering transmission, verify all hoses and wires are long enough.
If there is a tight hose or wire on the engine when transmission is lifted, then these same tight fitting hoses
and/or wires will need to be disconnect to prevent damage prior to lowering back of transmission.
NEVER lower transmission jack such as to allow the full weight of trans
to hang on engine as this is very dangerous and can result in a broken bellhousing or worse.
The tilt back as described below will prevent torque converter from falling; and
Will also give added room for removing side bellhousing bolts if needed.
24. Lower transmission about 4" from lifted position gauged at rear tip or transmission.
25. Just support / block up engine at rear of oil pan at this point (do not raise engine)
Leave 2 side transmission to engine bolts in at least 3 threads at this point.
27. Remove all but, the 2 transmission to engine bolts (3
threads in engine).
28. Push transmission jack, transmission & converter back about 1/2" (inch).
DO NOT LOWER JACK any more than you have to, to obtain an an even gap between
the engine and bellhousing.; and
With an even gap the 2 bellhousing bolts should turn by hand at this point.
29. Pry torque converter back from flexplate using flathead screwdriver
30.Again, verify that you have even gaps between bellhousing and engine, this is
Verify Torque Converter moves with transmission as you move away from engine.
31. Carefully move transmission at tailshaft side to side a little to clear dowel
pins on engine.
32. Carefully remove the 2 remaining bellhousing bolts.
This ebook is supplied FREE of charge for your personal use only. No other use, reproduction or electronic transmission
in part may be done without the express written permission of Bobby Cooper owner of E4OD.com. YOU CAN, however, send the whole ebook to anyone you wish, or
make it available for download on the internet and without charge.
Information contained in the E4OD Free Tips ebook
is from best available sources, personal experience and is accurate at the time of publication. However, www.E4OD.com,
www.myFSBO.net, Robert J. Cooper and their agents ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY and cannot be held liable for
any results or consequences regarding the use of this information.